V.D. Vincent and his wife began serving special dinners at their then “country cottage” in Northern Marion County. The beautiful hollyhocks that grew on the grounds gave way to the restaurant’s name, which it has retained ever since. The restaurants original dining area was both small and intimate, seating up to 30 guests. Aside from a few intermittent periods during World War II, the Vincent’s operated Hollyhock Hill for nearly 20 years.
Hubert “Hugh” Kelso purchased the restaurant that had grown to accommodate up to 70 guests with the cost for a complete dinner being nearly $3.00. Mr. Kelso’s forty year ownership of the restaurant led to numerous structural enhancements, fueling continued growth. He was active in the Indiana Restaurant Association (IRA), serving as Chairperson and inducted into the IRA Hall of Fame.
Ownership of the now 150 seat Indianapolis landmark was turned over to longtime employees, Jay & Barbara Snyder. For over fifty years, The Snyder’s worked side-by-side to maintain and grow this dining institution – ushering in innovation, balanced with tradition – constantly focused on customer satisfaction. They were proud and deserving custodians of the Hollyhock Hill tradition, and remained active in the day-to-day management of the restaurant and enjoying their seven grandchildren. In 2016, Jay and Barbara decided it was time to retire and turned the restaurant over to the hands of Kelly Haney.
- Michelin Guide, One Michelin Star (2002)
- Gambero Rosso, Up and Coming Chef Award (2002)
- ESPRESSO Guide Performance of the Year (2004)
- Lo Mejor de La Gastronomía, International Award (2005)
- ESPRESSO Guide, Dinner of the Year (2005)
- Veronelli Guide, Three Stars (2005)
- MICHELIN Guide, Two-Michelin-Stars (2006)
- Golosaria, Creative Restaurant of the Year (2006)
- Identità Golose, Best Creative Chef (2007)
- Gambero Rosso, Three Forks (2007)
- ESPRESSO Guide, Rating 19,520 (2009)
- The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, Highest New Entry (2009)
- Les Grandes Tables du Monde (2010)
- ESPRESSO Guide, Highest rating recorded 19,7520 (2010)
- Identità Golose, Chef of the Year (2010)
- BMW Guide, Restaurant of the Year (2010)
- Michelin Guide, Three Michelin Stars (2011)
- Gambero Rosso Guide, Best Restaurant Rating 95 (2012)
- “ESPRESSO” Guide, Best Restaurant Rating 19,75 (2012)
- Touring 2012 Guide, Best Restaurant Rating 93 (2012)
- ESPRESSO Guide, Rating 1920 (2007)
- Gambero Rosso, Three forks (2008)
While various innovations and advancements have been incorporated into the restaurants’ operation; many original recipes, techniques and philosophies remain in place. Today, Hollyhock Hill remains as one of a very few “family-style” restaurants still in existence in the USA, serving patrons from all 50 states and numerous foreign countries. Hollyhock Hill’s rich history and longstanding commitment to excellence will no doubt pave the way toward its continued success well into the future.
"Hollyhock Hill is a special place" — Sam LWe announced our engagement at Hollyhock Hill, had our rehearsal dinner there & have been there for 40 anniversaries & other events. Hollyhock Hill is a special place.
“I love all their food, but no surprise, their fried chicken is my favorite.” — Karen MLove the Hollyhock Hill restaurant because it feels like I'm walking into Grandmas house. I love all their food, but no surprise, their fried chicken is my favorite. My husband and I had our wedding reception there 26 blissful years ago!
“Thank you for all the memories!” — Karen LWe've been going for 40+ years...Our rehearsal dinner and every anniversary. Who would've known we would buy a house less than a mile away? We love everything about Hollyhock, not just the food. Thank you for all the memories!
“I love the chicken and the family atmosphere.” — Lisa B
I love the chicken and the family atmosphere. I love the fact that Hollyhock Hill hasn't changed a thing. It has remained the same...solid just like family. It's practically the only place you can go and expect what you got years ago. It's a tradition. It's a place you can take your kids for something special as well as taking your grandparents there. You can always rely on Hollyhock Hill when you want to go home.
“A Beautiful place and excellent service and wonderful home cooked dishes!” — Melissa R
We had many Christmas parties at Hollyhock! A Beautiful place and excellent service and wonderful home cooked dishes!